I am dedicating part of my platform to the Black Lives Matter Movement indefinitely. In light of recent events, the COVID-19 pandemic + the senseless murder of Ahmaud Arbery while he jogged + the murder of Breonna Taylor in her home + the murder of George Floyd under the knees of the police while he pleaded “I can’t breathe”, all of these tragic events occurring in just a couple months time. Not only is COVID-19 disproportionally ravishing Black and brown communities in the United States, our Black brothers and sisters are still forced to deal with vile racism and intense violence directed at them because of the color of their skin. It’s disgusting and unforgivable. This isn’t a new phenomenon, this structural, relentless and violent disregard for Black lives and it must end now.
If this rage we are seeing in the streets is not justified, I don’t know a rage that is.
I’m a white woman and I want to speak to other white people and share a few things we can do as allies to support the movement for racial justice in the United States and demand accountability:
- Get informed. Listen. Show up. Speak out.
- Sign the petition to demand charges against the officers who murdered George Floyd.
- Support directly the Black Lives Matter organization. Join the movement. Donate money!
- Follow @blklivesmatter
- Follow Alicia Garza one of the Founders of BLM @chasinggarza
- Follow and support directly the Know Your Rights Camp Donate money! @yourightscamp
- Follow Shaun King @shaunking
- Contact your local Congressperson or Senator and tell them you are outraged by the continued disregard for the lives of our African American neighbors.
- Reject racism and always speak up when you witness it.
- Use your privilege to protect your neighbors.
- Hold your white friends and family accountable.
BECAUSE ALL BLACK LIVES MATTER.